Different Types of Mouth Guards in Use
A mouth guard, also known as a night guard or dental splint, is a protective appliance designed to cover and cushion the teeth, gums, and surrounding tissues. It helps prevent injuries to the mouth, teeth, and jaw during sports activities, as well as protect against teeth grinding during sleep. Mouth guards consist of a flexible material that can absorb and distribute the force of an impact, reducing the risk of dental trauma.
Here are some key points about mouth guards for teeth grinding:
A mouth guard for grinding can protect your teeth, but it does not address the underlying causes of grinding. Some points are:
Mouth guard price
Mouth guard prices can vary depending on several factors, including the type of mouth grinding , the material used, and whether it is custom-made or an over-the-counter option. Here is a general price range:
- Stock mouth guards: These are the least expensive option, costing between $5 and $30. They are available at most drugstores and can be purchased with the assistance of a dental professional.
- Boil-and-Bite mouth guards: These mouth guards are a bit more expensive than stoick guards, ranging from $10 to $50.
- Custom-fitted mouth guards: These mouth guards are made by dental professionals and provide the best fit, comfort, and protection. The price for custom mouth guards can range from $300 to $800 or more.
Types of mouth guards
There are three main types of mouth guards commonly used for various purposes:
- Sports Mouth Guards: These mouth guards are designed to protect the teeth and mouth during sports activities. They are typically used in high-impact sports such as football, hockey, boxing, and martial arts. Sports mouth guards are usually made from durable materials that can withstand impact and prevent dental injuries. They can be custom-made by a dentist or purchased over-the-counter as boil-and-bite options.
- Night Guards for Bruxism: Night guards, also known as dental splints or occlusal splints, are used to manage tooth grinding or clenching (bruxism). They are typically worn during sleep to provide a cushioning effect and protect the teeth from the excessive forces of grinding. Night guards can be custom-made by a dentist based on impressions of your teeth or purchased over-the-counter as boil-and-bite guards.
- TMJ/TMD Splints: Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders and temporomandibular disorders (TMD) can cause jaw pain, headaches, and other symptoms. TMJ/TMD splints, also called stabilization splints or bite splints, are used to treat these conditions. They help stabilize the jaw joint and reduce stress on the temporomandibular joint. TMJ splints are custom-made by a dentist to fit the specific needs of the patient.
Mouth guards for braces
Wearing braces introduces some unique considerations when it comes to selecting mouth guards. Here are some tips for mouth guards for braces:
- Consult with your orthodontist or dentist: They can provide guidance on the best mouth guard options and ensure it fits properly over your braces.
- Extra cushioning: Look for mouth guards with added cushioning or shock absorption to provide additional protection for your braces and reduce the risk of injury.
- Regular checks: Visit your orthodontist or dentist regularly to monitor the fit of your mouth guard and make any necessary adjustments as your orthodontic treatment progresses.
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Clean your mouth guard regularly and maintain proper oral hygiene by brushing and flossing your teeth and braces before wearing the mouth guard.
Best mouth guard for teeth grinding in 2023
When it comes to selecting the best mouth guards for teeth grinding, a custom-fitted guard made by a dentist or dental professional is often considered the top choice. Custom-fitted mouth guards offer several advantages, like:
- Personalized fit: A custom-fitted mouth guard is fabricated specifically for your mouth, ensuring an exact fit between your teeth and jaw. This ensures optimal comfort and effectiveness in protecting your teeth from grinding.
- Maximum protection: Custom-fitted mouth guards are designed to provide superior protection by cushioning and absorbing the forces generated during teeth grinding. They help distribute the pressure evenly and minimize the impact on your teeth.
- Durability and longevity: Custom-fitted mouth guards are typically made from high-quality materials that are durable and long-lasting. They are designed to withstand the wear and tear associated with tooth grinding.
- Comfortable to wear: Since custom-fitted mouth guards are tailored to your mouth, they offer a comfortable fit that allows for natural breathing and speaking while wearing the guard.
- Proper alignment and bite adjustment: A custom-fitted mouth guard can be adjusted to align your bite and ensure that your jaw is properly positioned, reducing the strain and pressure on your jaw joint (TMJ).