Acrylic Dentures: Everything you need to know.
Acrylic is a common material used in the fabrication of partial as well as complete dentures. Acrylic partial dentures are made from resin which are easy to adjust and are oftentimes more comfortable in comparison to other different types of dentures. Because of its comfortability they are especially popular and are in high demand among denture wearers. But why acrylic dentures? Acrylic dentures use clear clasps which means they are considered more aesthetically pleasing and that they will not cause any cosmetic problems. Acrylic partial dentures also do not cause any irritation on the gum line. These dentures are more cost-effective in comparison to porcelain dentures. Special varieties or types of acrylic dentures are the spoon denture, the flexible denture fabricated with non-rigid acrylic resin, and the two-piece sectional denture.
However, along with the advantages of acrylic dentures there are also some downsides. As they are made of resin, they deteriorate faster compared to other metal dentures. Acrylic partial dentures are bulkier than other tooth restoration options and are also more prone to breaking leading to more expensive and longer adjustment period for denture wearers. Which also means that the wearer will have to face more difficulty relearning on how to chew and speak with each new set of acrylic partial denture. These dentures have increased risk of developing caries, alveolar bone reduction, tooth migration, causing gag reflex, damaging acrylic resin base as well as other diseases such as gingivitis, periodontal disease, and denture stomatitis.
5 unique facts about acrylic dentures.
Acrylic partial dentures look great as there are no metal clasps or component parts showing and can be fabricated to match with your natural gums. These dentures are usually recommended to replace every five years. Oftentimes the fitting of these dentures can be loose meaning that they are not a suitable fit for the lower jaw especially if there are no left teeth. Here are some of the acrylic denture facts:
- Acrylic dentures are easy to fit: These dentures are easy to alter which means that they are easy to fit. And since they are molded, they do not require much effort when making adjustments compared to other materials like metals.
- Acrylic dentures are natural looking: These dentures consist of a gum-colored base made of acrylic which serves a natural appearance. Acrylic partial dentures are particularly designed to create a more natural looking smile.
- Eating is easier: Even though it can be difficult getting used to eating with acrylic partial dentures, once adjusted you will be able to enjoy almost all kinds of food. For the first few days it is however recommended to stick to soft foods.
- Acrylic dentures are cost-effective: Dentures are an alternative to dental implants. Acrylic partial dentures are a basic treatment solution for teeth replacement. Acrylic partial dentures are much more cost-effective than other types of dentures.
- Quick treatment procedure: The time period during the acrylic partial denture treatment procedure is quicker and shorter to complete than that of metal frame dentures.