How to resolve dental fitting issues with zirconia?
Crown restorations made from the zirconia have gained popularity over metal-based crowns due to their strength, durability, longevity and same-day procedure. It can last a lifetime if it is placed and maintained correctly. Zirconia restorations are designed to help seal and protect your patient’s teeth from further damage.
Zirconia crown grinding is a bite adjustment which can be done by grinding your zirconium crown and it is advisable. It should not be high or grind too much and should be in normal occlusion. Crowns should not give any kind of disturbances or interference while chewing.
Zirconia crowns advantages:
- Increased in strength and durability
- Highly biocompatible
- It is a metal free
- It is suitable for patients who metal allergies
- It is easily modified
Zirconia crowns disadvantages:
- Reduction of tooth
- High potential damages to neighbored teeth
- Zirconia crowns are minimal.
Dental crown fit problems are not something that anyone can ignore. Any issues related with dental crowns must be handled instantly for the protection. As the zirconia dental crowns are made to help safeguard and seal the patient’s teeth from additional damage. Dentists must learn how to position a crown correctly and accommodate the crown’s fit in case difficulties arise.
Reasons your zirconia crowns are ill fitted
- Crowns that don’t fit well are rushed or errors occur. Zirconia crowns cemented with an open margin will allow entry or seepage of bacteria and saliva inside the crowns and it will lead to decay and periodontal issues.
- Sometimes there can be unfitting fillings due to unsuitable cementation. Clinicians must meticulously check the crown margins to avoid any potential errors while cementing. A gap in the crown allows saliva, and bacteria inside the crown, leading to infection and decay of teeth.
- Incorrect impression while taking a procedure will lead to inaccurate data delivered to labs which will impact the quality of zirconia tooth production. As a result, the fabricated zirconia tooth will not fit.
- Errors or irregularities during preparation of the crown.
Ways to resolve dental fitting issues with zirconia
Here are some ways to resolve the fitting issues on zirconia crowns:
- If the patient finds zirconia dental crowns debonding while brushing or eating then try altering the cementation process. Most dental technicians test out the fit of the crowns in the patient’s mouth before cleaning the tooth with pumice stone.
- By thoroughly cleaning of the intaglio cover of the zirconia repair can also help to improve adhesion before using the adhesive to the crown, cementing the crown, setting position and extraction of the excess cement. This is done when the zirconia dental crown does not have a built-in primer.
- Lastly, cement crowns will take the cure and remove any excess cement.
Even if labs try their best, dentists may have a chance of ill fits. After all standard procedures, clinicians sometimes fail to decontaminate the intaglio surface which causes the bonding process to fail. Zirconium oxide bonds the phosphate group therefore, it is critical to properly remove them so that the oxide sites can bond successfully in the patient’s mouth.